Ir.Dr. A. Naser Abdul Ghani
PhD., P.Eng, MIEM, MASCE, MACEM, ASEAN Eng.
Associate Professor (Civil Engineering Infrastructure)
School of Housing Building and Planning
Universiti Sains Malaysia
Tel: +604-6532804 Fax: +604-6576523
Dr. A. Naser Abdul Ghani obtained his BSCE from Ohio University (USA) 1986, his MSCE (Hydraulic and Hydrology) from Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, and his Ph.D. (Geotechnical Engineering) from Universiti Sains Malaysia. His main area of expertise is civil engineering infrastructures for housing and land development. He has professional and consulting experiences in the planning, design and construction of civil infrastructure works including soil improvement and earth retention/stabilization systems, drainage and flood control facilities, sewerage systems, water supply systems and roads. He has published over 30 technical papers in journals and conference proceedings. His current research works are related to civil infrastructure technology and; material and structure for infrastructure systems. His research work on earth retention systems won the CIDB (Construction Industry Development Board, Malaysia) R&D of the Year Award in 2004. He has taught courses and topics related to structural design, geotechnology, site investigations, and civil infrastructure for land development.
BSCE (Ohio University) USA 1986
MSCE (Universiti Teknologi Malaysia) Malaysia 1990
Ph.D. (Geotechnical) Universiti Sains Malaysia 2004
- Member, Association of Consulting Engineers Malaysia (MACEM)
- Professional Engineer (Registered with Board of Engineers, Malaysia) (P.Eng.)
- Member, Institution of Engineers Malaysia. (MIEM)
- Member, American Society of Civil Engineers (MASCE)
- Life Member, ASEAN Engineers Register•
Civil Engineering Infrastructure
Associate Professor (Civil Engineering Infrastructure),
School of Housing, Building and Planning, USM.
Engineer, Kedah Department of Health, 1986-1988
Design Engineer, SSR Consultants, 1989-1992
Consultant Engineer, SMHB Sdn Bhd, 1990-1992
Head of Dept. – Technical, Kulim City Council, 1992-1995
Honors and Awards:
- Selection Prize, 6th JICA International Thesis Competition
- Gold Medal, ITEX 2004
- R&D of The Year Award 2004, CIDB Malaysia.
- Gold Medal, 33rd Int’nl. Exhibition of Inventions, New Techniques and Products, GENEVA 2005.
- Saintis Cemerlang 2005, MOHE (Min. of Higher Education).
- Sanggar Sanjung (Academic Prize) 2004, USM.
- Sanggar Sanjung (Academic Prize)2005, USM.
- Excellent Service Award 2004, USM.
- Hadiah Pendidik Sanjungan (Academic Prize) 2007, USM
- Tokoh Maal Hijrah Daerah Padang Terap, Kedah, 1433/2011
- Honorary Research Fellow in Civil and Environmental Engineering. University of Auckland, New Zealand. (September 2009- January 2010)
- Honorary Research Fellow in Civil and Environmental Engineering. University of Auckland, New Zealand. (September 2009- January 2010)
- Member - Technical Committee for the Privatization of National Sewerage Services (1992-1993), Ministry of Housing and Local Government Malaysia.
- Consultant, ABADINI INTEGRAS ENGINEERS Sdn Bhd. (Present)
- Technical Advisor, Kulim City Council (1995-1996)
Key Consulting and Design Experiences:
Feasibility studies, planning and design of civil infrastructure systems
Design of drainage and flood control facilities.
Project Planning/Contract Administration.
Hydrological and Hydraulics Studies
Civil Engineering and Housing Infrastructure
Professional Practice - Civil Infrastructure/Land Development
Use of design software such as PROKON, Bently Power Civil, AutoCAD,
Esteem, PLAXIS, WaterCAD, FlowMaster, PRIMAVERA.
- Program Chairman (Building Tech): Jan 1997-Dec 1998
- Program Chairman (Building Tech): Jan 1999-Dec 1999
- Chairman, Industry and Community Network. Jan 2008 – Dec 2009.
- Quality Manager – HBP Laboratory, School of Housing, Building and Planning, USM: 2011-present.
|Graduated MSc Dissertation:
|Graduated MSc Full Research Mode:
Teaching and course development:
Teaching, since 1995, in the area of civil engineering infrastructure and construction technology.
- Introduction to Structure (Structural Mechanics)
- Structural Systems and Design
- Hydrology for Landscape Architect
- Construction Geotechnics
- Site Investigations
- Road and Highway Design and Construction
- Civil Infrastructure Design and Construction
- Construction Methods
- Construction Material and Technology
Editorial and academic referees/advisory:
- Editorial Member, Journal of Construction in Developing Countries. A CIB Encouraged Journal.
- Professional Assessment Examiner/Interviewer (2003-present). Board of Engineers Malaysia/The Institution of Engineers Malaysia.
- Article Assessor, Journal of the Institution of Engineers Malaysia. IEM.
- Assessor, USM Short Term Grant. Universiti Sains Malaysia.
- Member Panel of Assessors, Research University Grant (RU), USM.
- Assessor, MOHE scholarship and fellowship awards.
More than 30 international and local publications.
Current Research :
- Civil Engineering Infrastructure and Sustainability
- Material for infrastructure systems
Consultant to development industry and the government.
- A. Naser Abdul Ghani. (2012). Recycling Scrap Tyres into Engineering and Construction Materials. In Towards a Sustainable Built Environment in Malaysia. (Eds Mahyuddin Ramli and Hugh Byrd). Penang, USM Press. Pp 45-52.
- Abdul Naser Abdul Ghani, Md Azree Othuman Mydin And Noor Faisal Abas (eds.), 2011, Proceedings of International Building and Infrastructure Technology Conference 2011 (ISBN 978-967-394-029-5), School of HBP, USM, 462
- Sharifah Norhaidah Syed Idros, A. Naser Abd Ghani, Rusli jamaluddin, Hairul Nizam Ismail, Aswati Hamzah, Zakiah Mohamad Ashari. (2010). Developing a Safe and Sustainable Preschooler Play Area Integrating Blended Play and Learning Elements. BERU Publications No. 17/2010. School Of Educational Studies; USM. ISBN 978-967-5467-57-8
- Sharifah Norhaidah Syed Idros, A. Naser Abd Ghani, Hairul Nizam Ismail, Aswati Hamzah, Zakiah Mohamad Ashari. (2009). Ke arah membina persekitaran pengajaran dan pembelajaran yang selamat di taman permainan prasekolah. BERU Publications. School Of Educational Studies; USM. ISBN 978-983-2700-87-6
- A. Naser Abdul Ghani. (2008). Planning, Design and Construction of Road and Highways. Teaching Module. 4TH Ed.
- A. Naser Abdul Ghani, M. Farid Ahmad and Noor Faisal Abas (Editors).(2007). Proceedings of Malaysian Infrastructure Technology Conference 2007. Infrastructure Technology Research Unit. USM. ISBN 978-983-3986-19-4. 168 pages.
REFEREED JOURNAL AND PROCEEDINGS
- Wan Mohamad, W.N.S and Abdul Ghani, A.N. (2011). The Use of Geographic Information Sysystems (GIS) for Geoetechnical Data Processing and Presentation. Procedia Engineering 20 (2011) PP 397-406.
- Wan Nur Syazwani W.M, and A. Naser Abdul Ghani (2011), GIS BASED STUDIES OF GEOTECHNICAL PROPERTIES FOR LAND DEVELOPMENT PLANNING AND DESIGN , Proceedings of International Building and Infrastructure Technology Conference 2011 (ISBN 978-967-394-029-5) , Penang, Malaysia, 10
- Abdul Naser Abdul Ghani, Mohd Wira Mohd Shafiei and Mohd Yahaya Mohd Daud (2010). The Consequence of MSMA on Drainage Construction Costs. Proceedings of 4th International Conference on Built Environment in Developing Countries. Penang, Malaysia. Pp. 1001-1012 (ISBN 978-983-3986-606).
- Muhammad Zuhaer Abdulameer and Abdul Naser Abdul Ghani. (2010). The Development of a Newly Designed Concrete Armour Unit for Rubble Mound Breakwaters. Proceedings of 4th International Conference on Built Environment in Developing Countries. Penang, Malaysia. Pp. 899-909 (ISBN 978-983-3986-606).
- Chow, S.H., Norshida Ismail and Abdul Naser Abdul Ghani (2009). Shear Strength Characteristics of Sand-Waste Material Mixture. Journal of the Institution of Engineers Malaysia. Vol 70. No.1 March 2009. pp 36-43.
- Chow, S. H., Chow, S. T., Ghani, A. N. A and Ibrahim, Anas (2008). Development of a Laboratory Model Retaining Wall Test Facility. Proceedings of International Conference on Science & Technology: Application in Industry & Education, Penang, Malaysia, pp. 216-222. (ISBN: 978-983-42204-1-9)
- A. Naser Abdul Ghani (2007). Use of Scrap Tire as Lightweight Material in Civil Engineering Infrastructure Works. In Proceedings of Malaysian Infrastructure Technology Conference 2007. Infrastructure Technology Research Unit. USM. ISBN 978-983-3986-19-4. p 129-136.
- Chow Shio Huey, Anas Ibrahim and A. Naser Abdul Ghani (2007). Investigation on Compressive Strength of OPC-Waste Material Geocomposite. In Proceedings of Malaysian Infrastructure Technology Conference 2007. Infrastructure Technology Research Unit. USM. ISBN 978-983-3986-19-4. p 107-114.
- Noordin, N.M., Awang, H., and Ghani A.N.A. (2006). Practical application of portable foam generator and lightweight foam concrete in housing development. In Proceeding of International Conference on Sustainable Housing (Ismail, A.M. et al. eds), Penang: USM. ISBN 983-41749-1-8.
- Ghani, A.N.A. (2006). Civil Infrastructure in Land Development: the Sustainable and Environmental Challenges. In Proceeding of the International Conference on Environment. Penang, Malaysia. ISBN 983-3391-54-0.
- Ghani, A.N.A.. (2005). Civil Engineering Infrastructure and Land Development: Issues in the Technically Difficult Ground Condition in Malaysia. In Proceeding of International Conference on Construction and Real Estate Management: The Challenge for Innovation. ( Wang, et al. Eds). P.R. China: China Architecture & Building Press. P. 1199-1201. ISBN 7-112-07871-7.
- Noordin, N., Awang, H. and Ghani, A.N.A. (2005). Lightweight Foamed Concrete in Construction. In Proceeding of International Conference on Construction and Real Estate Management: The Challenge for Innovation. ( Wang, et al. Eds). P.R. China: China Architecture & Building Press. P. 1488-1491. ISBN 7-112-07871-7.
- Ghani, A.N.A., Ahmad, F. Hamir, R., Mohd, S. (2005). Development of Pre-Engineered Geomaterial for Use in Road Embankment and Retaining Structure Backfill. Journal of Transportation Science Society of Malaysia. Vol. 1 2005. ISSN 1823609X. Kuala Lumpur: TSSM. P 38-43.
- Ghani, A.N.A., Ahmad, F. Hamir, R. and Mohd, S. (2004). Yielding Behavior of Scrap Tire Based Lightweight Geomaterial. In Proceeding of the Malaysian Geotechnical Conference 2004 (Chan S.F., ed), Kuala Lumpur: IEM, pp. 375-380.
- Ghani, A.N.A., Ramli, M. and Noordin, N.M. (2004). Shredded Scrap Tire Blocks as Load Reducing and Drainage Layers Behind Bridge Abutment. In Proceeding of International Conference on Bridge Engineering and Hydraulic Structures (Jaafar, M.S. et al., eds), Kuala Lumpur: UPM Press, pp. 189-192. ISBN 983-2871-62-X.
- Ghani, A.N.A., Ahmad, F., Hamir, R. and Mohd, S. (2003). Strength, Compressibility and Drainage Behavior of Composite Geomaterial Developed for Application as Retaining Wall Backfill Inclusions. In Deformation Characteristics of Geomaterials. (Di Benedetto et al., ed), The Netherlands: A.A. Balkema, pp. 991-996. ISBN 90-5809-604-1.
- Ghani, A.N.A. (2003). Shredded Scrap Tire Blocks as Lightweight Material in Construction Works. J. of Housing, Building and Planning. Penang: Penerbit USM (USM Press). P. 27-41. ISSN 0218-6536.
- Ghani, A.N.A., Ahmad, F., Hamir, R. and Mohd, S. (2003). Shredded Tire Based Geocomposite as Drainage and Load Reduction Layers for Earth Retaining Structures. In Proceeding of 5th EASTS Conference, Fukuoka, Japan: Eastern Asia Society for Transportation Studies, 2003. pp. 354-363.
- Ghani, A.N.A., Ahmad, F., Hamir, R. and Mohd, S. (2003). Yielding Behavior of Scrap Tire Based Lightweight Geomaterial Subjected to Repeated Load. In Proceeding of 2nd International Conference on Advances in Soft Soil Engineering and Technology. (B.B.K. Huat et al.,ed.),. Selangor: UPM Press, pp. 681-689. ISBN 983-2373-92-1.
- Ghani, A.N.A., Ahmad, F., Hamir, R. and Mohd, S. (2003). Pre-Engineered Lightweight Geomaterial for Retaining Wall Backfill. In Proceeding of International Conference on Industrialised Building Systems. (Jaafar, M.S. et al., eds). Kuala Lumpur: CIDB. pp. 199-208. ISBN 983-2724-10-4.
- Ghani, A.N.A., Ahmad, F., Hamir, R. and Mohd, S. (2003). Compressible Geomaterial as Inclusions or Layers in Retaining Wall Backfills. In Proceeding of 3rd International Conference on Recent Advances in Materials, Minerals and Environment (), Penang: USM, 2003. pp.
- Ghani, A.N.A., Ahmad, F., Hamir, R. and Mohd, S. (2003). Reducing Wastes By Utilizing Scrap Tires as Geotechnical Material. In Proceeding of Environment 2003, Penang: USM, pp.259-263.
- Ghani, A.N.A., Ahmad, F., and Hamir, R. (2002). Varying Effect of Compressible Layers in Retaining Wall Backfill. In Proceedings of 2nd World Engineering Congress. (B.B.K. Huat et. al, ed.), Selangor: UPM Press, pp. 114-116. ISBN 967-960-142-0.
- Ghani, A.N.A., Ahmad, F., Hamir, R. and Mohd, S. (2002). Strength, Elasticity and Deformation Characteristics of Composite Geomaterial Containing Tire Shreds. In Proceeding of the 3rd Iranian International Conference on Geotechnical Engineering and Soil Mechanics. Tehran: Center for Scientific Documentation and Publications, pp. 251-255. ISBN 964-425-388-4.
- Ghani, A.N.A., Ahmad, F., and Hamir, R. (2002). Recycling Wastes into Lightweight Geomaterial for Civil Engineering Works. In Proceeding of 20th Conference of ASEAN Federation of Engineering Organization. Phnom Penh: OCM/EIC/AFEO, pp. 190-196.
- Ghani, A.N.A., Ahmad, F., Hamir, R. and Mohd, S. (2002). Engineered Strength and Compressibility of Lightweight Geomaterial Composite for Use in Embankment and Retaining Structure Backfills. In Transport Research Towards National Development (Ibrahim, N.I. and Ghani, W.R.A.W.A., ed.), Kuala Lumpur: CTR/TSSM, pp. 63-68.
- Ghani, A.N.A.. (2000) Feasibility of a Concealed Drainage Systems for Housing Projects in Malaysia. Proceeding of Pacific Rim Real Estate Conference. http://business2.unisa.edu.au/prres/Proceedings/Proceedings2000/P8B1.doc Sydney: UNISA.
- Ghani, A.N.A. and Yusoff M.N. (2000). Design Issues and Capital Costs of Concealed Drainage Systems for Housing Projects in Malaysia. In Proceeding of National Conference on Urban Issues and Challenges: Developing Solutions for Cities of the 21st Century. Selangor: UPM Press.
- Jamal Z.A.Z., Mohd Zain Z. and Ghani A.N. A. (1997). Engineers Write and Reflect: An Experience in the Use of Work Journals in Undergraduate Engineering Education. In Proceeding of 5th Triennial Conference on Engineering Education: Challenges and Goals for Engineering Education in the 21st Century. Manila: AEESEAP. pp k31-k38.
- Ghani, A.N.A. (1996). Towards Integrated Management of An Urbanizing Area: Developing Data Bank and Flood Forecasting Model; BULETIN, Pusat Pengajian Perumahan, Bangunan dan Perancangan; Jilid 8 1996. Penang: USM-HBP. Pp. 47-49.
- Ghani, N.A. (1995). Development in Compound Channel Flow Studies; JOURNAL INSTITUTION OF ENGINEERS MALAYSIA, Vol. 56 No.2 September 1995. Kuala Lumpur: IEM. pp.45-50. ISSN 0126-513X.
CONFERENCE/SEMINAR/ PRESENTATION AND PROCEEDINGS
- A. Naser Abdul Ghani (2011). THE IMPACT OF “MSMA” ON DRAINAGE CONSTRUCTION COSTS - SMALL SCALE DEVELOPMENT , 5th NAPREC Conference. Institut Penilaian Negara, 12/4/2011- 12/4/2011, Bangi, Malaysia.
- A. Naser Abdul Ghani and Nawawi Chouw. (2009). Shredded Scrap Tire Block as load reducing layer on retaining wall: Static and Dynamic loading. Geotechnical Engineering Colloquium 2009. Auckland. New Zealand. Dec 10 2009.
- A. Naser Abdul Ghani. (2008). Land Development in the Technically Difficult and Poor Ground Sites in Malaysia. In Proceedings of International Conference in Infrastructure Development. Putrajaya. Malaysia. May 7-9 2008. CD Proceedings.
- Ibrahim, A., Ghani, A.N.A., Ahmad, M.F. and Jamalludin, D. (2006). Use of Scrap Tire as Replacement in Backfill Materials. In Proceeding of the International Conference on Local Government. Sabah, Malaysia.
- Wahid, J., Ghani, A.N.A., Nordin, N.M. and Idris, M.F. (2006). Teknik Binaan dan Bahan Bangunan dalam Sektor Perumahan di Malaysia. In Proceeding of International Conference on Construction Industry 2006. Padang, Indonesia. 21-24 June 2006.
- Ghani, A.N.A., Ahmad, F., Hamir, R. and Mohd, S. (2002). Scrap Tire Based Lightweight Geomaterial for Civil Engineering Works. In Proceeding of Malaysian Science Technology Congress 2002 (CD ROM), Oct. 17-19, Genting Highlands, MALAYSIA.
- Ghani, A.N.A., Ahmad, F., and Hamir, R. (2002). Pengunaan Bahan Ringan Bolehmampat Sebagai Bahan Kambus Balik untuk Tembok Penahan. In Proceeding of AWAM 2001 (CD-ROM), Penang: USM
- Yusoff, M.N., Ismail, M. and Ghani, A.N.A. (2002). Isu Rekabentuk dan Kos Bagi Sistem Perparitan Tertutup di Kawasan Perumahan Teres Densiti Tinggi. In Prosiding Seminar Kebangsaan Sains, Teknologi dan Sains Sosial. Kuantan: UiTM, pp. 618-621.
- Mohd Zain Z. and Ghani A.N.A. (1997). Planning and Developing Engineering Capability to Promote Economic Growth. In Proceeding of IMT-GT Technical Cooperation on Implementing of Engineering Economic Growth of the Growth Triangle. Thailand: IMT-GT/The Engineering Institute of Thailand.
- Ghani, A.N.A. and Mohd Zain, Z. (1996). Reformation of Engineering Education in Preparation for the 21st Century. In Proceeding of Tripartite Convention on IMT-GT Technical Cooperation - Challenges and Opportunities for Engineers. Penang: IMT-GT/IEM.
- Wan Mokhtar Wan Nawang and Abdul Naser A. Ghani, “GIS Based Landuse and Stormwater Planning and Management in the Urbanizing Areas”, Conference on Georaphy in the ASEAN Region, Brunei, Julai 1990.
- Ghani A.N.A. and Nawang W.M. (1990). A GIS Based Urban Runoff Studies in Anak Sungai Keroh Watershed. In Proceeding of International Symposium on Urban Planning and Stormwater Management. Kuala Lumpur: UTM/MANCID/IHS.
APPENDIX B: LIST OF RELATED CONSULTANCY WORKS
- Consulting Engineer. Infrastructure and Foundation Design. Kuala Perlis Immigration Complex. AIESB. (2008).
- Consulting Engineer. Infrastructure and Security Fencing Design. Serdang AADK Detention Center. AIESB. (2007).
- Consulting Engineer. Infrastructure Design. National Registration District Office for Kulim, Pendang and Yan.. AIESB. (2006)
- Consulting Engineer. Infrastructure and Foundation Design. Mini Stadium Kulim. AIESB. (2005)
- Consulting Engineer. Infrastructure Design. Kulim Golf and Country Resort. AIESB (2004)
- Consulting Engineer. Conservation and Development of Kota Kayang Muzium, Perlis. AIESB (2003)
- Consulting Engineer. Design of Sanitary Landfill. AIESB. (2002)
- Consulting Engineer. Infrastructure Design. Ministry of Education Housing Quarters in Sungai Petani. AIESB. (2001)
- Consulting Engineer. Infrastructure Design. Drainage Improvement Works for Selasih Park, Kulim. TNI (1998)
- Consulting Engineer. Infrastructure Planning and Design. Mix Commercial and Residential Development of 360 Acres. TNI. (1996)
- Consulting Engineer. Infrastructure Planning and Design. Residential Development of 400 acres. TNI (1999)
- Consulting Engineer. Sewerage Network Planning and Design. 15000 PE Residential Development. TNI. (1998)
- Consulting Engineer. Al Malik Khalid Mosque Expansion Project. USM. (1999)
- Consulting Engineer. USM Islamic Kindergaten Project. USM. (2000)
- Lenggong Archeology Lab. Foundation Design . USM.
- Lenggong Archeology Lab: Water Supply Design.USM.
- Lenggong Archeology Lab: Sewerage Systems Design. USM.
- Drainage Detail Design of Upper Krian Basin-Land development/reclamation. SMHB S/B.
- Desaru International Resort – infrastructure design. SMHB S/B.
- Penang Water Resources Study – water distribution systems studies and design. SMHB S/B.
- New Klang Valley Expressway (NKVE) – drainage design. SMHB S/B.
- Melaka New Water Supply – contract administration. SMHB S/B.
- Parit Nibong Rural Road – design and documentation. SSR Consultants.
- Housing Development, Muar, Johor – infrastructure design. SSR Consultants
- Section Office and Maintenance Depot (PLUS) – building and infra design. SSR Consultants.
- Rancangan Kawasan Khas (Special Area Plan) Matang Kuala Sepetang. Infrastructure Studies. Usains Holding SB. (2007).
- Rancangan Kawasan Khas (Special area Plan) Kota Kuala Muda. Transportation and Infrastructure studies. AIESB. (2007)
- Kajian Dasar Perumahan Negara (National Housing Policy Studies). Ministry of Housing and Local Govt. RM 5 Million. (2003-2005). Responsible for technical and engineering portion.
- Consultant. Ministry of Education’s School Maintenance Studies. Usains Holding Sdn Bhd. (2004-2006)
- Kajian Penyenggaraan Sekolah-Sekolah Seluruh Malaysia (Studies of Malaysian School Maintenance). Ministry of Education. RM 4.5 Million. (2004-2006). Responsible for technical and engineering portion.
- Consultant. Kajian Saliran dan Pembangunan Daerah Barat Daya Pulau Pinang. PDC/JPS/State Govt. (1998)
- Consultant. The Low Cost Housing Scenario in Malaysia. EWIEN Sdn Bhd. 6 months. (1996)
- Consulting Engineer. Abadini Integras Engineers Sdn Bhd. – Usains Holding Sdn Bhd. (2003-present).
- Consultant. National Housing Studies. Usains Holding Sdn Bhd. (2004-2005)
- Sterling Drug Wastewater Treatment Systems – waste treatment studies
- KTM Railway Rehabilitation-Drainage studies
- Klang River Erosion and Sediment Control - studies
- Remote Sensing Based Urban Runoff Studies - studies