Cheah Chee Ban
Cheah Chee Ban (Assoc. Prof. Ir. Dr.)
|Dr Cheah Chee Ban is a distinguished researcher in the field of construction materials with specialization in cementitious and non-cementitious inorganic composites. As at current he has more than 30 research papers published in established international journals such as the journal of Construction and Building Materials, Composite Part B, Resources Conservation and Recycling, American Journal of Applied Sciences etc. He has vast experience in the characterization of calcareous and siliceous mineral binder materials for concrete production. The outcome of his laboratory and in-situ investigation provides essential knowledge to the stakeholders of the concrete manufacturing sector in materials selection and quality assessment. His binder materials characterization specialization covers physical properties assessment, chemical properties examination and material quality monitoring. These aspects of the application of concrete binder are of utmost importance to ensure the quality and longevity of the concrete material in long term service duration.|
Professional Member Board of Engineers Malaysia, Corporate Member of Institution of Engineers Malaysia,Associate Members of American Concrete Institution, Registered Assessor Department of Standards Malaysia.
|Titles (Duration)||Level of Involvement||Funding Agency (Sum)|
|Utilization Of Coal Ash A Primary Binder In Cementless Bricks
|Geopolymerization Hydration Kinetics Governing The Solidification Of Coal And Wood Biomass Ash Cementless Concrete
|The Development of an Ultra Durable and High Strength Polymer Modified Fibrous Cementitious Composite (2014-2016)||Principal Researcher||USM-STG|
|The novel accelerated curing regime for polymer modified precast elements using biomass energy
|Development of Supplementary binder in high Performance concrete production
|Accelerated Curing Model for SBR Modified Cementitious Composite
|Enhancing Polymer Modified Cement System Using Innovative Approach of Accelerated Curing Regimes||Co-researcher||MOHE-ERGS|
|Development of high performance concrete for Structural system by partial replacement of cement With Ultra Reactive Saw Dust Ash (URSDA) (2010-2013)||Individual||USM-RU-PRGS|
|Name of Research Student||Level of Study (Field)|
|Nurshafarina binti Jasme||PhD|
|Tan Leng Ee||PhD|
|Lim Jay Sern||MSc (Research)|
|Chow Wee Kang||MSc (Research)|
|Ng Peck Ghee||MSc (Research)|
|Lim Wei Shen||MSc (Coursework)|
|Name of Student||Level of Study (field)|
|Part Wei Ken||PhD (Construction Materials)|
|Azamuddin b. Husin||PhD (Construction Materials)|
|Gobi a/l Velayutham||Undergraduate (Building Technology)|
|Noor Shazea Ahmad Noordin||Undergraduate (Building Technology)|
|Muhammad Hasnolhadi Samsudin||MSc (Construction Materials)|
|Mohammad Aiman Ishak||Undergraduate (Building Technology)|
|Fatin Farhana Hassian||Undergraduate (Building Technology)|
|Nurul Nadiah Binti Maliki||Undergraduate (Building Technology)|
Selected Journal Papers - 2016 -2019
1. Cheah Chee Ban, Lim Jay Sern, Mahyuddin Ramli. (2019). The mechanical strength and durability properties of ternary blended cementitious composites containing granite quarry dust (GQD) as natural sand replacement. Journal of Construction and Building Materials 197, 291 – 306.
2. Cheah Chee Ban, Tan Leng Ee, Mahyuddin Ramli (2018). The engineering properties and microstructure of sodium carbonate activated fly ash/ slag blended mortars with silica fume. Composite Part B-Engineering. In-press (accepted manuscript).
3. Emad Pournasiri, Mahyuddin Ramli, Cheah Chee Ban (2018). Mechanical performance of ternary cementitious composites with polypropylene fibre. ACI Material Journal 115(5).
4. Kwan Wai Hoe, Cheah Chee Ban, Mahyuddin Ramli, Chang Kok Yong (2018). Alkali-resistant glass fiber reinforced high strength concrete in simulated aggressive environment. Materiales de Construccion 68(329). E.147.
5. Cheah Chee Ban, Muhammad Hasnolhadi Samsudin, Mahyuddin Ramli, Part Wei Ken (2017). The use of high calcium wood ash in the preparation of ground granulated blastfurnace slag and pulverized fly ash geopolymers: A complete microstructural and mechanical characterization. Journal of Cleaner Production 156, 114 – 123.
6. Cheah Chee Ban, Part Wei Ken, Mahyuddin Ramli. (2017). The long term engineering properties of cementless blockwork containing large volume of wood ash and coal fly ash. Journal of Construction and Building Materials 143, 522 – 536.
7. Cheah Chee Ban, Part Wei Ken, Mahyuddin Ramli. (2017). Mechanical and durability performance of novel self-activating geopolymer mortars. Procedia Engineering 171, 564 – 571.
8. Cheah Chee Ban, Part Wei Ken, Mahyuddin Ramli. (2017). Effect of sodium silicate and curing regime on properties of load bearing geopolymer mortar block. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering 29.
9. Cheah Chee Ban, Chung Kok Yaw, Lim Gin Keat, Mahyuddin Ramli. (2016). The engineering properties and microstructural development of cement mortar containing high volume of inter-grinded GGBS and PFA cured at ambient temperature. Construction and Building Materials 122, 683 – 693.
Journal Papers - 2010 - 2015
Cheah C.B., Part W. K, Ramli M. (2015). The hybridizations of coal fly ash and wood ash for the fabrication of low alkalinity geopolymer load bearing block cured at ambient temperature. Journal of Construction and Building Materials, Vol.88. p.41-55
Part W. K, Ramli M. Cheah C.B. (2015). An overview on the influence of various factors on the properties of geopolymer concrete derived from industrial by-products. Journal of Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 77. p. 370-395.
Kwan W. H, Ramli M. Cheah C.B. (2014). Impact and flexural resistance of fiber reinforced concrete in simulated aggressive environment. Journal of Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 63. p. 62-71.
Cheah, C. B. & Ramli, M. (2014).The fluid transport properties of HCWA-DSF hybrid supplementary binder mortar. Composite Part B, 56, p. 681-690
Cheah C.B, Ahmad Nordin, N.S, Part, W.K, Ramli, M. and Kwan W.H. (2014). The high volume reuse of hybrid biomass ash as a primary binder in cementless mortar block. American Journal of Applied Sciences, Volume 11(8) 2014 p. 1369-1378 doi: 10.3844/ajassp.2014.1369.1378
Cheah C.B and Velayutham, G. (2014). The Effects of Steel Fibre on the Mechanical Strength and Durability of Steel Fibre Reinforced High Strength Concrete (SFRHSC) Subjected to Normal and Hygrothermal Curing. MATEC Web of Conferences 10
Cheah, C. B. & Ramli, M. (2013) The structural behaviour of HCWA ferrocement–reinforced concrete composite slabs. Composite Part B, 51,p. 68-78.
Cheah, C. B. & Ramli, M. (2013) The engineering properties of high performance concrete with HCWA–DSF supplementary binder. Construction and Building Materials, 43,p. 93-103.
Cheah, C. B. & Ramli, M. (2012) Mechanical strength, durability and drying shrinkage of structural mortar containing HCWA as partial replacement of cement. Construction and Building Materials, 30,p. 320-329.
Cheah, C. B. & Ramli, M. (2012) Load capacity and crack development characteristics of HCWA-DSF high strength mortar ferrocement panels in flexure. Construction and Building Materials , 36,p. 348-357.
Cheah, C. B. & Ramli, M. (2012). The effects of the incorporation of wood biomass ash on water demand, setting and mechanical properties of blended cement. Energy Procedia, 14,p. 140-145.
Cheah, C. B. & Ramli, M. (2011) The implementation of wood waste ash as a partial cement replacement material in the production of structural grade concrete and mortar: An overview. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 55,p. 669-685.
Cheah, C. B. & Ramli, M. (2011) Properties of high calcium wood ash and densified silica fume blended cement. International Journal of Physical Sciences, 6 (28),p. 6596-6606.
Cheah, C. B. & Ramli, M. (2011) Characterisation of high calcium wood ash for use as a constituent in wood ash-silica fume ternary blended cement. Advanced Materials Research, 346,p. 3-11.
Cheah, C. B. & Ramli, M. (2011) Mechanical strength and durability of high performance mortar containing densified silica fume. American Journal of Applied Sciences, 8 (1),p. 82-91.
Cheah, C. B. & Ramli, M. (2010) Optimization of mix proportion of high performance mortar for structural applications. American Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 3 (4),p. 643-649.
1. Cheah, C. B. & Ramli, M. (2013) The Durability Properties of High Performance Mortar with HCWA-DSF Supplementary Binder. Third International Conference on Sustainable Construction Materials and Technology 2013, 18-21 August, Kyoto, Japan.
2. Cheah, C. B. & Velayutham, G. (2014) The Effects of Steel Fibre on the Mechanical Strength and Durability of Steel Fibre Reinforced High Strength Concrete (SFRHSC) Subjected to Normal and Hygrothermal Curing. Building Surveying and Technology Undergraduate Conference, 31 May-1 June, 2013, Langkawi, Malaysia.
3. Cheah, C. B. & Ramli, M. (2011) Properties of wood ash-silica fume ternary blended cementitious system. In:Sulaiman, O. 2nd Symposium of USM Fellowship 2011, 23 November, Penang, Malaysia.Institute of Postgraduate Studies. p. 36
4. Cheah, C. B. & Ramli, M. (2011) Characterisation of high calcium wood ash for use as mineral admixture in concrete. International Building and Infrastructure Technology Conference 2011, 7-8 June, Penang, Malaysia. p. 154
Thesis and Dissertations
Cheah, C.B. (2012) Development of high performance mortar containing high calcium wood ash as a partial cement replacement material for ferrocement structural applications. PhD thesis, Universiti Sains Malaysia.
Cheah, C.B. (2009) Experimental study on concentrically loaded hollow square columns bonded externally using discrete glass fiber reinforced polymer strips. Dissertation, Universiti Sains Malaysia.
|Bil||Title of Award||Issuing Organisation||Year|
|1||Anugerah Pingat Emas||PECIPTA||2017|
|2||Anugerah Perkhidmatan Cemerlang||Universiti Sains Malaysia||2017|
|3.||Hadiah Sanggar Sanjung||Universiti Sains Malaysia||2016|
|4||Anugarah Pingat Perak||PECIPTA||2015|
|5||Hadiah Sanggar Sanjung||Universiti Sains Malaysia||2014|
|6.||Hadiah Sanggar Sanjung (Penerbitan Jurnal)||Universiti Sains Malaysia||2013|
|7.||Hadiah Sanggar Sanjung (Penerbitan Jurnal)||Universiti Sains Malaysia||2012|
|8.||USM Gold Medal||Universiti Sains Malaysia||2009|
|9||First Prize in IBS/MC Competition||Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB)||2009|
|10.||Outstanding performance in Structure Design||The Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE)||2009|
|11.||Gamuda Excellence Award||Gamuda Berhad||2008|
|12.||Gamuda Excellence Award||Gamuda Berhad||2007|
- Hits: 15414